SRI2022 Asia Spotlight Event
Towards a Sustainable Future in Asia and Beyond
June 20-24, 2022
The SRI2022 Asia Spotlight event will be held online as part of the Sustainability Research & Innovation Congress 2022 (SRI2022) that will be happening online and in Pretoria, South Africa on 20-24 June, 2022.
Hosted by an Asian consortium of academia/university, government partners, funders, and other stakeholders, coordinated by Future Earth Global Secretariat Hubs in Asia (China, Japan, South Asia, and Taipei hub), the event aims to provide a unique opportunity to engage and interact on sustainability challenges and opportunities in Asia and beyond.
Leaders, experts, early-career researchers, students, governments, civil society, and industry leading sustainability and innovations are invited to attend the SRI2022 Asia Spotlight event, a platform fostering more collaboration to achieve a sustainable society in the region.
This will provide opportunities to discuss outstanding and common sustainability issues within and beyond Asia.
The event will also connect researchers, innovators, and other experts working on related topics, provide capacity building for the early-career scientists, and further develop transdisciplinary science collaboration to drive transformative change.
The Asia Spotlight Event aims to:
- Foster discussions on regional sustainability issues in Asia;
- Create a platform to feature the latest developments and updates in sustainability research in Asia that will lead to exploring innovative solutions and/or ideas;
- Connect participants to develop new networks and collaboration; and
- Provide an inclusive space for students and early-career researchers from the region to share and showcase their knowledge and ideas.
The full program will be available soon.
If you would like to participate in the Asia Spotlight Event, please register for SRI2022 through the main SRI2022 registration portal, and select an online registration type.
If you have any questions about the Asia Spotlight Event, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
SRI2022 Asia Spotlight Event Themes
Sustainability is about our relationship with the future, and SRI2022 seeks to explore emerging issues and trends that shape our world tomorrow. In a time of rapid change, looking ahead is more important than ever. What are the challenges and solutions that might surprise us? How can we get ahead of the curve and build our preparedness and resilience? How to predict the unpredictable? Who are the new players and what are the unlikely coalitions? Under this theme, we are particularly open for new if not unexpected ideas, but examples or areas might include:
- World after Covid-19
- Unheard voices in sustainability science and innovation
- Justice, equity, ethics and inclusion
- Levers for innovation and change
- Inclusive financial mechanisms for supporting growth and resiliency
DIFFERENT WAYS OF KNOWING
Recognizing that knowledge is versatile, SRI2022 explores the various ways of understanding, conceptualizing, and learning about the world. An inclusive approach to knowledge will dramatically broaden the spectrum of solutions available for action-forward sustainability work. SRI2022 will promote new perspectives to:
- Indigenous/local community knowledge
- Equitable access to information and decision-making options, including Artificial Intelligence
- TD (transdisciplinary research and transdisciplinarity)*
*transdisciplinary science is an approach that threads together different scientific and other knowledge
Many sustainability challenges are interrelated and intertwined and require a nexus approach. SRI2022 invites novel perspectives looking at critical intersections in multiple areas including but not restricted to:
- Sustainable food systems and human wellbeing
- Resilience, adaptation and addressing risk
- Evidence-based and actionable contributions to the SDGs and beyond
- Narratives of progress, wealth and well-being
- Water, food, energy, society
- Resources use efficiency
CROSS-CUTTING: ASIA SCIENCE AND INNOVATION
This theme will showcase the richness of science, innovation, and sustainability in Asia. From tested local solutions to advanced academia research, we can showcase the wealth of knowledge and innovation in our area.
About SRI2022 Asia Spotlight Event
The hosting consortium for the Asia Spotlight Event is led by Future Earth Global Secretariat Hub China, Future Earth Global Secretariat Hub Japan, Future Earth Global Secretariat Hub South Asia, and Future Earth Global Secretariat Hub Taipei.